Brake Glow

An aspiring motorsports journalist’s personal blog.

Tag Archives: Barrichello

F-1 and IndyCar Notes

Raikkonen Leads Tuesday Testing at Jerez: Despite meaning little for actual 2012 pace, Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen returned to the controls of a modern Formula One car in style. The Finn paced the field on Tuesday at Jerez in the new Lotus E20. The Iceman seemed  to lack surprise after topping the charts. “The lap times don’t matter today. I’m happy with the balance of the car, which feels good, and the fact that we didn’t have any major issues. Also, I did more than a race distance today and did not have any physical problems at all, which is good,” he said. Raikkonen also touched on Formula One’s Drag Reduction System, or DRS, which allows a car within one second behind another car to open the rear wing and reduce aerodynamic drag– to enable easier passing. “You just put the wing down and go past easily. The guy in front can’t really do anything,” said the 2007 World Champion. “But I agree that at least it makes the show better,” he added.

Barrichello to Decide Future Next Week: Brazilian Rubens Barrichello expects to announce a decision regarding his racing career sometime next week. The former Ferrari F1 driver was interviewed by a Brazilian radio station Tuesday and addressed the situation. “We have spoken with many people and there are things to be resolved, including the family aspect,” Barrichello said in reference to the promise he made to his wife to stay away from American ovals. Barrichello tested a new DW12 IndyCar for KV Racing last week at Sebring and seemed to enjoy the experience. The 39 year old elected to stay for a third day of testing after only being scheduled for two. Although he may not be asking for advice, many are offering it to Barrichello. The likes of Emmerson Fittipaldi and Eddie Jordan have cautioned the Brazilian from entering IndyCar. David Coulthard, however, stressed Barrichello should follow his heart with any racing decisions.

 

Advertisements

Barrichello Chooses to Stay for Third Day of Testing

Rubens Barrichello made the decision to stay in Sebring Wednesday for a third and final day of IndyCar testing.

Originally, the Brazillian was only scheduled to partake in two days of testing with KV Racing and Tony Kanaan on the Florida road course. However, the Indianapolis Star‘s Curt Cavin reported early Wednesday that Barrichello opted to stay with the team Wednesday.

Testing duties now alternate between Kanaan and Barrichello in the No. 11 KV Racing Chevrolet and E.J. Viso in the No. 5. machine.

The racing world seems united in their apprehension awaiting for Barrichello’s decision, especially the IndyCar world. Barrichello made a promise to his wife at one point to avoid racing on American ovals. But, following the development of the DW12 and IndyCar’s departure from many 1.5-mile ovals, that promise may face reneging.

Barrichello recently told Kanaan he was impressed by the friendliness and closeness of the IndyCar paddock. Kanaan alluded that may play some role in Barrichello’s decision.

For footage from Sebring testing, below is a video on-board Kanaan’s DW12 as he navigates the Sebring short-course. Check out his son’s hand prints on the back of his helmet.

Bernard Wants Barrichello in IndyCar

Rubens Barrichello was again the talk of the paddock as IndyCar testing resumed at Sebring Tuesday. The f1 veteran, with 22 years of experience in the pinnacle of motorsport, brought out some uncommon faces to see during pre-season testing. In addition to KV Racing owners, Jimmy Vasser and Kevin Kalkhoven, IndyCar president, Randy Bernard, was also on hand in Sebring to see Barrichello embark on his first IndyCar venture.

“(Barrichello)’s a champion,” Bernard told the Associated Press, “a driver who would be a tremendous addition to a series.” Bernard also indicated IndyCar might assist in Barrichello’s decision to move to IndyCar financially. “If there is a transition, I want him to know that we’re here to help him,” Bernard said to racintoday.com

KV Racing’s other driver, and Barrichello’s good friend, Tony Kanaan also provided insight onto Barrichello’s future. “Right now, we don’t have anyone signed for the other two cars. You can tell by his face he’s having a lot of fun,” Kanaan told Speed.com. “By the time he gets out of the car he’ll have a pretty good idea what he wants to do,” Kanaan added.

Today is the last day Barrichello is set to test with KV Racing while the majority of the IndyCar teams are set for a three day test.

On-board footage from Barrichello’s test at Sebring can be seen below.

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

Weekend Round Up (Jan 20-22)

I apologize for a lack of content over the weekend. I was out of town and away from computer access for much of the weekend to attend a baptism for my niece. With that in mind, here’s a brief look at what’s happening in the racing world since Friday night.

Michael Shank Racing Wins Rolex 24: After years of trying, the Michael Schank Racing team won their first Rolex 24 at Daytona. The team, consisting of A.J. Allmendinger, Oz Negri, John Pew and Justin Wilson, fought off a hard-charging Ryan Dalziel in his Starworks Motorsports entry to win the famed event by a mere 5.2 seconds. The narrow margin of victory marked one of the closest finishes in endurance racing history. The win also gives strong momentum to the Michael Shank Racing squad as they begin the endeavor into a new field of racing: IndyCar. Full results from the Rolex 24 here.

Tracy to MSR in 2012?: Speaking of Rolex 24 winners, Michael Shank Racing, there have been strong indications that a deal to sign 22-year IndyCar veteran and 2003 CART Champion, Paul Tracy, to their IndyCar program. Tracy was in Daytona competing against MSR in Doran Racing’s DP. ““I’m trying to do a deal with Michael Shank to start an IndyCar team with himself and AJ Allmendinger,” Tracy told Speed.com’s Marshall Pruett. “We have a sponsor lined up. We need to put together an engine program this week and tie up a couple of other lose (sic) ends of some other contractual stuff, and if we can do that, then we’ll get the car put together and try to get to Sebring to test.” One obstacle facing Tracy and MSR are the sponsor connections Tracy has to Honda-Canada. MSR signed an engine contract with Lotus but, should Tracy bring Honda dollars and connections, the MSR team may be easily coaxed into signing on with Honda instead. Tracy has been on the hunt for a full time IndyCar ride since the last year of Champ Car in 2007 when he drove for Gerry Forsythe’s team.

Paul Tracy last drove full-time in 2007 for Forsythe Racing's Champ Car team. Could Tracy become MSR's driver in 2012 for his farewell tour from IndyCar racing? (Photo: Zach Wenzel)

IndyCar Teams Resume Testing, Barrichello Turns First Laps: A large group of IndyCar teams have returned to a testing regimen to prepare the new DW12s for competitive action. KV Racing, Andretti Autosport, Dreyer and Reinbold and Panther Racing have all turned laps at Sebring today with more expected to join the group this week. The test marks the first time new Andretti Autosport driver, James Hinchcliffe, dons his new GoDaddy.com colors. The one stealing the spotlight in Sebring, however, is an IndyCar rookie having only turned his first laps in an IndyCar but a few hours ago. The rookie comes highly recommended though by much of the paddock, especially Tony Kanaan. Of course, we’re talking about the most experience Formula One driver in history, Rubens Barrichello. The Brazilian is evaluating a potential run in the IndyCar series this year following his departure from WilliamsF1. Officially, the test is set only to allow Barrichello to provide his expertise feedback on the new car’s development. But many, including Barrichello, have left open the possibility to run in IndyCar.

Barrichello’s first departure from pit lane in an IndyCar was posted to KV Racing’s youtube channel and can be seen below.

Sutil Attempted Resolution with Lux: German F1 driver, Adrian Sutil, attempted to resolve the bar fight saga with Lotus Team Executive, Eric Lux, out of court it has emerged. Sutil realizes the outcome of the case largely determines what will become of his career. He acknowledged attempts to resolve the situation out of court with Lux, whom he cut with a broken glass in a Shanghai night club. The 28- year old talked to SID news agency about the severity of the situation. “I’m sorry, extremely sorry, I didn’t want it to happen,” Sutil said. The former Force India driver told SID despite appealing to Lux out of court, Lux had no interest and “wanted to destroy” Sutil. Lux received phone calls from Sutil in his efforts to apologize, but Lux never accepted the calls. “I expected him to come to Luxembourg and apologize to me. A call is not enough,” Lux testified. Sutil and Lux did discuss resolutions but none were agreed upon. Sutil claimed Lux’s demands were outlandish and involved a “very, very high amount” of money as well as Sutil’s sitting out of numerous Grands Prix.

F-1 Notes

Barrichello at KV Shop for Seat Fitting: After the news broke mid-day yesterday, the Twittersphere has been abuzz with talk of F-1 refugee Rubens Barrichello testing a KV Racing Technology IndyCar at Sebring this coming week. IndyCar drivers took to the social media site to voice their praise for the Brazilian and to encourage his endeavor into IndyCar. Even the great Mario Andretti tweeted at Barrichello, “good luck at Sebring test. Hope you’ll like it enough to join IndyCar. Tony Kanaan will be a great mate!” Barrichello joined in the fun early Thursday morning. Barrichello posted a picture of himself snugly tucked into the cockpit of a DW12 during a seat fitting. Since Brake Glow makes every effort to avoid copyright infringement in any form, the picture can be seen here. Barrichello is scheduled to turn his first laps in an IndyCar at Sebring on Monday.

Caterham Forced Into Early Unveiling: The Caterham F1 Team, formerly Lotus, was forced into an early unveiling of their 2012 challenger. Pictures of the aptly named CT01 emerged early Wednesday. The release to the media was initially scheduled for Thursday in an agreement with the UK-based, F-1 Magazine, but some readers received their copy of the periodical early on Wednesday. The early arrival to some fans led to pictures being lifted from the magazine and posted to the internet. Caterham relented and released a single picture for the media’s official use later in the day on Wednesday. Team Principal, Tony Fernandes, made the best out of the situation. “I am thrilled that we broke cover first and that the CT01 is the first example anyone has seen of a 2012 car,” he said. Fernandes said he expects more from the team in 2012 with points scoring being the main goal. The Malaysian pointed to the amount of development into this year’s car: “The detail right across the whole package is light years ahead of where we were when we first started out, and we are all excited about seeing what it can do when we get on track.” The public will see the CT01 on track for the first time in February as Formula One heads to Valencia for preseason testing. Photos of the CT01 are available through the team’s Flickr account here.

“Can’t Underestimate (Schumacher)” – Glock: Marussia driver, Timo Glock, recently came out to in defense of his fellow countryman, Michael Schumacher. Schumacher has brought mediocre results to his MercedesGP Team since his return to Formula One in 2010. But, Glock says, that does not mean he has lost his edge. In an interview with the German publication, Sky Sports News HD, Glock praised Schumacher’s tenacity and motivation. “He (Schumacher) is highly motivated and still someone who you always have to take into consideration,” Glock said. Glock finished his thought, “You can’t underestimate him in any way.” The 7-time World Champion and winner of 91 Grands Prix has yet to score a win, or even a podium, since his return two years ago. 2012 will be Schumacher’s third season with MercedesGP. His contract expires at the end of the 2012 season and his future plans remain unknown.

Barrichello to IndyCar?

Recent WilliamsF1 refugee, Rubens Barrichello, will get his first sampling of an IndyCar later this month.

Speed.com unveiled the news that Brazilian Barrichello is set to test one of KV Racing Technology’s IndyCars next week in Sebring, Florida. The test will collude with one already scheduled for KV driver, and fellow Brazilian, Tony Kanaan.

Barrichello’s intentions remain unclear, however, after publicly promising his wife he would avoid racing on American ovals. If Barrichello made a full-time IndyCar debut, he would not be the first in doing so at the age of 40. Nigel Mansell made the transition from F-1 to CART in 1993 at the same age.

Another option potentially available to the 300-some Grands Prix veteran models that of Sebastien Bourdais’s return to American open-wheel last year. In 2011, Bourdais ran a strict road courses-only schedule for Dale Coyne Racing.

More will be added as it becomes available.